I finally finished up my new painting project! The brave adventuring party faces off against the most dangerous foe of all. (Unless you count my cat, worst nightmare of any miniature.) These are all from the Reaper Bones II kickstarter — I was poking through the giant pile of minis and trying to figure out something more interesting to do than just painting them one by one.
Let’s meet our adventuring party!
I took a ton of in-process pics while I was building this, along with my own musings, if that’s the sort of thing you find interesting.
- The “bonesium” stuff that Reaper Bones minis are made of is tricky. It’s neat in some ways, as flexible as a plastic toy, so it’s easy to temporarily move an arm out of the way to get an angle at something. But a bunch of the minis I got are twisted or bent permanently, and I’m not sure how to fix them. The approach that works on resin minis — heat in boiling water, re-bend, quench in ice water — seems to work, but the minis return to their bent shape after a couple of days. Internet studies suggest more boiling time? Need to experiment.
- Modeling foam is also tricky. Superglue and spray paint both dissolve it like acid. The foam coat stuff protects it somewhat, but not completely, although it does mask the too-regular foam texture. Next time I will probably still use foam coat but paint by hand. This is annoying, though, because painting sand manually is a PITA.
- Need to think harder about what happens at the edge of the modeled area. I had masking tape down to protect the wooden base, but when I pulled it off it left ragged bits of sand that I had to fix up and paint. Maybe some kind of lip made of green stuff?
- Composition. The color scheme worked well — gray-blue terrain, brilliantly red dragon, mostly blue-green adventurers. Also increasingly getting the hang of skin tones, including dark skin tones. The placement is trickier — this one looks fine if you can pick it up and manipulate it, but with the adversaries facing one another it’s hard to get good-looking pictures from one direction. May need to think of these arrangements as more theater-like with a single intended viewpoint.
- Basing. I cut the Reaper minis off their bases, but realized later that unlike, say, GW minis, since they have built-in bases their feet aren’t always level. This meant some last-minute fixes to the terrain, which I should have built in from the start. More testing and mockups.